Upon checking in, I was given key fairly quickly since I had reservations prior to my arrival. The room smelled so bad, like it hasn’t been aired out ever. There was only one working light. The switch in the entrance didn’t work, I had to turn the light on in the bathroom and then figure out where the rest of the light where. The only light that worked was the lamp between the beds. The refrigerator didn’t work. There was so much dust everywhere, the beds looked caved in and you could feel the springs. The blanket was stained on one bed. I called the front desk and complained and they gave me a key to a different room. When I got to the second room, it wasn’t any better. It also had one working light and it was VERY dim. The tv didn’t turn on, but at least the fridge worked. The furniture looked like it was super old, the beds were much worse than the 1st room. There was so much dust, my toddler wouldn’t stop sneezing. We decided to shower because we spent an entire day traveling. The toilet paper roll in the bathroom was down to its last two sheets and there was mold in the ceiling. I called the front desk and complained again. This time a gentleman came to my room from the front desk and apologized and gave me the key to a different room I upstairs. He said he went and checked the room himself and it was much better. The room was brighter, all the lights worked, but very dirty. There was a sock on the floor by the door. Decided not to stay at all. Do not recommend.