Everything from the North Carolina coast to the stunning Blue Ridge Mountains comes together to make North Carolina a great vacation destination. With a huge coastline and the stunning Outer Banks, a summer vacation in North Carolina is a beach paradise for the whole family. North Carolina vacations are also filled with culture from historic buildings to sprawling art museums, so come visit the state where the Wright Brothers took the first powered flight.
Vacations in North Carolina have something for everyone, making it a state you’ll come back to repeatedly. Family vacations in North Carolina have everything you could want. Take the kids hiking in the incredible Smoky Mountains and go biking in a state park. North Carolina has lively cities too, with historic Charlotte and family-friendly Asheville.
The Biltmore Estate in Asheville will delight adults and kids alike with its huge gardens, winery, and beautiful architecture. There’s an outdoor activities center on the grounds and you can go biking, take a carriage ride, or even go on Segway tours. Couples will love the candlelit wine tasting tours, and the estate is also an amazing place to visit at Christmas time.
Head into the Blue Ridge Mountains to see the Grandfather Mountain and its famous mile-high swinging bridge. Drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Linville Peak, where you can visit the museum and see up to 100 miles on a clear day. Go for a hike or go mountain biking and let the wind stream through your hair!
1. Asheville - Book a vacation rental in Asheville and explore this fun-loving city. Visit the botanical garden where kids can spot animals and plants, then head to the Western North Carolina Nature Center to hang out with the coolest animals. Downtown Asheville is full of arty shops and friendly cafés, and couples can visit the craft breweries.
2. Holden Beach - Great for a family summer vacation, Holden Beach has attractions like free summer concerts, bowling, and an amazing planetarium. There are a range of golf courses nearby if you fancy a couple of rounds, and the restaurants at Holden Beach are full of delicious food made from locally-sourced ingredients for an authentic taste of real Southern hospitality.
3. Charlotte - North Carolina package vacations in Charlotte are a world of fun for all the family. Let off steam at the U.S. National Whitewater Center or visit the Discovery Place Science for interactive learning and an IMAX. Adults will love exploring Charlotte’s street cafés, boutique shops, and the world-renowned Mint Museum.
4. Bald Head Island - Check out the lighthouse and go for a stroll along this quiet island’s shoreline. This is a great day trip from Wilmington, and you can stand on the beach at Cape Fear and look out to sea.
5. Nags Head - A small town in Outer Banks, Nags Head has huge sand dunes and a beautiful boardwalk. Take the kids along to the First Flight Adventure Park and rent some fishing gear to see if you can catch anything.
A summer spent on Wrightsville Beach is a summer well spent with beautiful days and hot sun. The North Carolina coast is a wonderful vacation destination in summer, and during spring and fall the cities have got lots going on. Stay in Chapel Hill and visit the botanical gardens and the University of North Carolina when the leaves are turning. Winter in NC means fantastic skiing in the Smoky Mountains, making vacations in North Carolina amazing throughout the year.
North Carolina vacations are easy to fly right into with plenty of major airports across the state. Fly into Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) or Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) for central state vacations. Use Norfolk International Airport (ORF) across the border in Virginia for Outer Banks vacations. Hire a car to make the most of your time in North Carolina.