Trip deals to California for 2021
Top California vacation deals
California Vacation Package Deals
One-stop vacation shopping with Orbitz will give you direct access to California packages from $236, but the real beauty of a package vacation is that Orbitz does all the searching for you.
Gone are the days of hunting for a flight and hotel separately, comparing hundreds of flight sales and hotel deals, with the added pressure of keeping track of all those pesky reference numbers. Check out an all-inclusive resort hotel package, where the price will also cover your food, drink, and activities, or a simple flight and hotel package, and enjoy the luxury of having all your essential information in one place.
Whether you’re planning on visiting California in peak season () or you want to avoid the crowds and go during the quieter months (), you can customize your package to your own unique travel needs.
Don’t forget to join Orbitz Rewards and start earning Orbucks to spend on bookings for over 350,000 hotels across the world. For each dollar you spend, you instantly earn 1 Orbuck, which you can redeem at your convenience. Being an Orbitz Reward member also means you get access to exclusive deals with Insider Prices as well as VIP Hotel benefits and upgrades.
When you book a package deal with Orbitz, not only are you in for a quick and easy booking process, but you also get the chance to make some great savings. And since the flight and hotel are paid for upfront and in one place, managing your budget will be a breeze.
The perfect California itinerary for 7 days
Day 1: San Francisco
You can pack a whole lot into a few days in San Francisco but consider catching an early flight into San Francisco International Airport to really make the most of your time. Grab a taxi, ride-share or the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and head to your hotel.
- Start at Pier 39, part of the Fisherman’s Wharf area, with its arcades, shops, and resident sea lions
- Continue walking south, along The Embarcadero, for about 30 minutes to reach the Ferry Building. With its specialty grocery stores, restaurants and grab-and-go outlets, this is not just a famous landmark, it’s foodie heaven! Go on a Saturday for the acclaimed Ferry Plaza Farmers Market
- Stroll north back along The Embarcadero to Pier 33 (20 minutes), and catch a ferry to Alcatraz
Transportation: Most of San Francisco’s sights are within walking distance, but you can use the world-famous cable cars to avoid the steep uphill climbs. Beware—at peak hours, the cable cars can have long lines.
Day 2: San Francisco
- Beat the crowds and arrive early at Lombard Street to photograph its impressive incline and the eight switchbacks that make it one of the crookedest streets in the world. The section you’ll want to see is located between Hyde and Leavenworth streets
- Walk east on Lombard Street for about 10 minutes until you reach Columbus Avenue. From there, you’ll be entering Little Italy, which features famous pizza spots and great hole-in-the-wall bars and coffee shops, many of which the beatniks themselves used to frequent
- You’ll want to explore Chinatown next, (a 15-minute walk from Little Italy) to browse the street markets
- From Chinatown, we recommend hopping on a cable car at the California Street line, which passes some landmark buildings
- End your time in San Francisco with a sunset cruise in the bay. Boats leave from Fisherman’s Wharf quays and give you unforgettable views of the Golden Gate Bridge
Day 3: Drive Highway 1 to Pismo
- The first leg of the drive will have you heading south for about 2.5 hours to arrive in Carmel-by-the-Sea, an enchanting town with quaint houses and a European ambiance
- Just 10 minutes south of Carmel is Point Lobos State Natural Reserve where you’ll find miles of hiking trails, dramatic coastal cliffs, isolated coves and colonies of barking sea lions
- Continue south for another 30 minutes to Big Sur. Time it to reach the Bixby’s Bridge south end at sunset for photos
- Finish your day in the delightfully retro town of Pismo Beach
Where to stay: Pismo Beach has a great selection of hotels you can book as part of your California package deal, perfect for an overnight stay. Enjoy sea views and salty breezes at hotels like Shore Cliff Hotel and Sandcastle Hotel On the Beach.
Transportation: Rent a car in San Francisco as part of a package deal and drop it off in Los Angeles, your next stop.
Day 4: Drive Highway 1 to Los Angeles
Today you may want to skip breakfast and wait for brunch at your first stop, Santa Barbara, which is just 90 minutes’ drive south of Pismo.
- Visit Santa Barbara for a stroll on the beach, and then make your way to State Street for shopping and dining
- Next stop: Malibu, located about 90 minutes south of Santa Barbara. Make a stop by Malibu Lagoon State Beach, or head inland to the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area to hike to waterfalls and canyons
Where to stay: You’ll be booking a place in your next destination: LA (just a 30-minute drive from Malibu). Choose a place to stay like the InterContinental Downtown Los Angeles and you’ll have access to a rooftop pool, or choose a budget-friendly option such as the spacious Ellison Suites with its Venice Beach views.
Day 5: Los Angeles
- Make a beeline for Hollywood and start star-spotting at the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Spend the morning exploring some of the top sights, from Sunset Strip to the trendy Melrose Avenue shopping district to Rodeo Drive with its luxury boutiques.
- Universal Studios Hollywood, about a 20 min drive from Rodeo Drive
- Drive 20 minutes southeast to end the day watching the sunset from the Griffith Observatory where you’ll have views over Hollywood, Downtown and the Pacific Ocean
Day 6: Daytrip to Channel Islands National Park
- Set off on a daytrip to the town of Ventura, located about an hour northwest of LA. Here, you can hop on a boat to one of the islands in the Channel Islands National Park. The boat journey takes between 1 and 3 hours depending on which island you visit
- Each island is unique, but you really can’t go wrong on Santa Cruz Island, known for its hiking, while Anacapa Island is home to a 1932 lighthouse. Visit the sandstone formations at Lobo Canyon on Santa Rosa Island, or go in search of seals at Point Bennett on San Miguel Island
Day 7: Los Angeles
- Santa Monica Pier
- Walk about 2 miles to Venice Beach Boardwalk
- Take a 20-minute drive from Venice Beach into the Brentwood hills to spend some time at the Getty Center. This popular museum showcases Western art from the Middle Ages to the present
In the evening, you can fly home from Los Angeles or stay another night to extend your epic California vacation.